Review: The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

The Catcher In The Rye - Friederike Poziemski, J.D. Salinger

Oh, Holden ..... *shakes head* ....

What is there even to say about this book? It's such a non-point, a waste of paper in my opinion. I know some people like it and it's supposed to be about finding yourself, and a journey on the road to adulthood and a voice to relate to when you're feeling alienated and over powered by the world around you but .... No, JD Salinger, just no.

I could have written this book. I could have gone about my daily life, hanging about the city I live in, meeting a few crazies (and believes me, there's more than a few crazies in my city!) jotting down some repetitive notes along the way about how everything is so goddam this and phoney that, stuck the whole thing together with some glue, coloured in an uninspiring cover with a red crayon and boom! Catcher in the Rye! In fact, do you know what? Here I go .... I'm gonna grab my sneakers and my hunting cap, go see if I can find some obscure CD in HMV, spend some time pondering where all the seals go when the river Tay freezes over, then I'm gonna hit Liquid Nightclub and be really fucking irritating in there for a while.

I'll be laughing all the way to the bank!

x