Review: The Ninth Life of Louis Drax by Liz Jensen

The Ninth Life of Louis Drax - Liz Jensen

A long time ago I saw this book reviewed in a newspaper and thought it sounded very interesting and felt I had to get it. So I set off for the book store to find it. However .... When I got there my mind went blank. I couldn't remember the name of the book, couldn't remember what the author's name was, could only very vaguely remember the premise. The only clear image I had of the book was what the cover looked like. Cursing myself for being so stupid I headed back home to consult the newspaper only to find that it had already been tossed into the recycling bin and taken away to become a sandwich carton (or whatever recycled paper gets made into) .... Gah! So annoying. Want to know the most annoying part? It took me FIVE YEARS (yes literally five years, I'm not exaggerating) to come across this book again, by chance in a tiny bookstore in Wales where I was living at the time. I only recognised it by the cover and grabbed it before it could slip through my fingers again!

Well I can tell you it was worth the wait! I loved this story of a strange, sad and disturbed little boy trapped in a coma searching for the truth, and of his doctor, also searching for truth in his own life and in Louis'. It is beautifully put together with both Louis' and the doctor's voices giving us different angles of the story. Wonderfully paced and filled with suspense, from the looming forest fire to how Louis came to have his "accident". It all unfolds piece by piece in a way that makes you want to read it greedily, all in one go.

All in all, a brilliant, shocking read with a cast of lively, believable characters and a wonderful twist!

x