Review: Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

Lullaby - Chuck Palahniuk

Oh ... I'm undecided. I don't know if I like Chuck P. or I just think I should like him.

I guess the reason I feel this way is because I enjoy the surrealism, I enjoy the absurdity and I enjoy the bizarre escape his books provide me with but I guess my beef with him is that I hate being preached to, especially in that sneaky, sneaky way where at first it feels like I'm just enjoying a rather far out, unique story but then it slowly dawns on me that I'm actually being fed some propaganda about the despicable society we live in today and I just end up feeling bad for liking and participating in things that everyone does. And the worst part? I fall for this same trick EVERYTIME! For I will admit, I have read pretty much everything that Chuck P. has written ...

So Lullaby is basically telling me that the constant stream of advertising, television and radio "noise" that I'm subjected to on a daily basis is evil .... That's the crux of the story. The actual story goes something like the main character, a reporter discovers the culling song, an ancient African chant that has the power of killing people when they hear it, while researching a series of articles on SIDS. He teams up with a realtor with a talent for flipping haunted houses and embarks on a wild road trip to destroy all copies of the children's book which contain the chant, with much mayhem and many deaths along the way.

I found the story line somewhat entertaining, some of the characters were a little grating and one-dimensional, or just plain stupid. I suppose it's an interesting premise, kinda disappointingly carried out. The plot veers off point and sort of sways back and forth between ridiculous and just about buyable. It drips on and on, almost beginning to suck the life out of as you read it (the culling book?) ... I don't know, as I said before I'm so undecided. Maybe I like it, maybe it don't. Maybe it's one of those books that you have to find out for yourself. Give it a go with an open mind.

x