Review: Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson

The wintergirls are Cassie and Lia, locked in a struggle with bulimia and anorexia (respectively) from which Cassie does not escape and Lia fights to remain in, stuck between the living and the dead as she puts it.

Despite the sketchy writing style and the unlikeable characterisation I thought Wintergirls was really interesting. It got itself a little bogged down in unnecessary analogies and confusing description, but cut through all that bull and it's actually really thought provoking, offering some great insight into what it's like to battle anorexia.

Unfortunately Lia, the narrator was not easy to feel close to. She was not written with enough depth and came across as a bit of a brat despite supposedly being 18 years old. I found it somewhat hard to connect to her and appreciate as I didn't really "get" her and didn't understand the story of how she came to find herself on this path to self destruction. I suppose it's not always easy to understand why though, maybe she wasn't supposed to even know herself what her motives were.

I'm so undecided about wether I like Laurie Halse Anderson or not. She seems to have an ability to get inside an issue and create a reality that is believable and moving. If only she wasn't so try-hard with some of her writing style. And if only she could create a character who I really felt connected to. Oh well. I live in hope.

x